Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Tilapia with Tomatoes Caper Sauce

Hi all!
Tonight I decided to do a surf sort of dish rather than a turf sort of dish and came up with Tilapia with tomato caper sauce. I also made some delicious cornbread with cheddar and thyme, which made the house smell fantastic, but also made my oven non-useable for the broiled tilapia dish from Pinterest. What do you do when your oven's out of commission baking cornbread? Sautee it on the stove! So, this recipe required a bit of modification and I made some mistakes, so I'm hoping you can learn from my mistakes.
First mistake was cooking the fish first and making the sauce later. The tilapia filets cooked very well in 1 Tbs of oil for 3 minutes per side. The sauce took about 15 minutes to cook so that means that with prep and cooking time the fish sat in the microwave (to keep warm) for over 10 minutes and cooled off. This didn't bother Matt at all, but the mouth-feel of cold fish made me gag, so I'd say it was not an ideal dinner, but at least one of us was full and happy! I'm not sure what that says about Matt being able to stomach cold fish, but thank God one of us could eat it because I made a lot, hoping it would make a nice lunch tomorrow. The other problem was it was scrumptious! The flavor was spot on and the fish was cooked to flaky moist deliciousness, if only my throat would have cooperated!
So, learn from my mistake and make the sauce, put it on simmer and THEN make the fish!
If this doesn't work for you and you're not making savory cornbread in your oven, you can broil the fish instead which may keep it warmer longer. To do so, follow the original recipe (found in this link):
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/03/broiled-tilapia-with-tomato-caper-sauce.html

If you're willing to try it my way, (I'll fix the order in the recipe below) then read on my lovely readers!
Looks good, huh? Tasted great too!
Ingredients:
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
8 (6 oz) tilapia filets
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 shallots, minced
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp capers
1/4 cup white wine
salt and fresh pepper

Season the fish filets with salt and pepper.

Mince the shallots and chop the tomatoes


Sous chef Matt helping out to make this dinner extra special!
Chopped tomatoes

In a medium sauté pan, heat 1 Tbs of olive oil
I used garlic olive oil because I couldn't find regular, woops!
Add garlic and shallots and sauté on medium-low about 4-5 minutes.



Add tomatoes and season with salt and pepper & sauté 7-10 minutes

Gooey tomatoes!!!!
Ummm, they're leaking more!!!
Maybe if I add salt and pepper they'll stop leaking... NOPE!
Add wine and sauté until wine reduces, about 5 more minutes or until its a consistency you like.
WINE! Be sure to taste a glass or two to make sure its fit for cooking...
Holy cats that's a lot of liquid!
Ok this will just have to do, it smells amazing, I'm not cooking it much more!
Add capers and sauté an additional minute.



Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbs of oil in a pan and toss fish in. Cook fish 3 minutes each side.
Again with the garlic olive oil! This is now readily available most places I highly recommend it!
Raw fish! These were pre-frozen filets, that we thawed. They had very little to no fishy smell. If you can smell your seafood it is too old! Don't eat it!!!
Note when I turned the fish it went from translucent to opaque and the pink stripes in the middle turned brown.

I had a hard time getting the fish out in whole filets because it was flaky. It smelled very good!
Place fish on a platter and top with tomato caper sauce.
As you can see this is a very pretty dish as well as a tasty dish and so long as you cook the fish AFTER the sauce is more than 1/2 done you'll be in great shape! I served this with cheddar thyme cornbread, but it would be exceptional over angel hair pasta, rice, or quinoa! And don't you worry, the recipe for Cheddar Thyme Cornbread will be up here soon! And as always...
Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment