Sunday, September 2, 2012

Meme's Yellow Squash casserole

Hi all!
Today's recipe was not great, but has lots of potential. It came from the cookbook, "Basic to Brilliant, Ya'll" and has lost of great ingredients but was missing just a bit of something. I'm pretty sure I know where I went wrong so we'll start with that. I used whole grain club crackers which had sugar added to them which made my crumb topping sweet. This would have been great with an apple crisp (hmmm...) but not so much with a savory dish. I really don't like to mix my sweets and savories, so this didn't tickle my taste buds. Rather than using the club crackers I think I would have been better off using plain ol' bread crumbs. Also, I think it could have used a bit of extra seasoning. Matt put some of trader Joe's South African Smoke which has paprika flakes, sea salt, garlic, and basil in it. I'm guessing the paprika is smoked because it has a great smokey flavor and definitely perked up the squash casserole. So keep this in mind, find some of your favorite spices and seasoning and add it to the mix!
So even without that stellar review, I'm still going to blog about it because it has so much potential and could be really nice if we tweek it just a bit. If you make it and find something you like adding to it, please comment below so we can share. I'm pretty sure a tablespoon of thyme might just be the thing it needs, but until then, I'd love to hear your suggestions as well!

Meme's Yellow Squash Casserole
Ingredients:
2 Tbs unsalted butter
2 Tbs canola oil
1 onion, preferably vidalia, chopped
3 yellow squashes cut 1/4 inch thick
2 zucchini  cut 1/4 inch thick
Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
2 large eggs
1 c. low-fat evaporated milk
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese (I used 2%  low fat cheddar cheese)
2 c. bread crumbs (the recipe called for bread crumbs or club crackers, and club crackers were yucky)


Pre-heat oven  to 400F & spray baking dish with PAM or canola spray
Cut up veggies and set aside





Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, 3-5 minutes.


Add the yellow squash and zucchini. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until tender, 3-5 minutes.


I think I cooked the veggies too long because they ended up a bit soggy
Transfer veggies to a bowl with a slotted spoon to leave any liquid that has cooked out of the veggies behind in the pan.

 Add eggs, evaporated milk, and cheese. Stir to combine.




Transfer the veggie mix to the baking dish.


Sprinkle with bread crumbs and dot with butter.




Bake until veggies are tender and the topping is lightly browned ~30 minutes.



Serve warm, and if you don't like how it comes out, I'm sure you could find someone who will like it


Clifford LOVED the left-overs I couldn't finish!
It's a simple dish and like I said its got some pretty good ingredients (mostly veggies), but it needs some extra zing to make it extraordinary. I'm pretty sure the biggest hurdle would be to use regular bread crumbs instead of the cracker crumbs. 
Happy eating!

1 comment: