Sunday, September 16, 2012

Mama's salisbury steak with mushroom gravy

Hi All!
I have a new beef recipe for  you! This I made a bit ago, but am just now getting the chance to blog it. Lately because I've been very busy in lab  and with the horses, so I have been cooking in spurts rather than steadily as I would like. But the good news is if I'm busy in lab it means that I'm being productive (or just banging my head against the wall, either one is likely in science). The bad news is that means I don't get to cook as much as I want. So, its nice to bank a few recipes and be able to blog them as I go so that I don't run out of material, and you all can see fun and new recipes! So today I'll try to make 3-4 different items so that I can blog through out the week. Today's recipe is: Mama's Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy. This was my first foray into using the broiler and I'm happy to say other than a couple small burns, it was successful! I got the recipe from the cookbook my dear friend Loren sent to me, "Basic to Brilliant, Ya'll." This has been a really nice cookbook which has so far provided me with a few really nice recipes. The only one I have turned my nose up at was the Meme's yellow squash casserole, but since my aging Weimeraner Clifford LOVED it, I'd say it wasn't a total loss. This recipe calls for a mixture of pork and beef. Usually you add pork to a dish if you want to make a bit more mild beef flavor and also increase the fat of the patty. If you are not a pork fan, I think you could use a fattier beef (80:20?) and toss in some ground turkey or chicken. Or if you want to cut fat, perhaps use only ground turkey, though I'd worry that it might become too dry. In fact this was so lovely so don't change a thing! Enjoy it as is. This recipe has tons of steps and will keep you hoppin' for about 30 minutes but it was so nice and it made lots so I'd say it was worth it!

Mama's Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Ingredients:
1 tsp canola oil plus more for the broiler pan
1/2 sweet onion, grated
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 lb of ground beef
8 oz ground pork
1 Tbs of chopped flat leaf parsley
Course salt and fresh ground pepper
3 Tbs unsalted butter
1 lb mixed mushrooms (such as cremini, chanterelle, morel, shiitake, and white button), sliced
2 Tbs all purpose flour
2 c. pan drippings + beef stock
1 lb of various mushrooms!

Grating onions is worse than finger nails on a chalk board, so I decided to try running it through the Magic Bullet

It worked, and looked frothy, so maybe a bit over blended, but still pretty good.
Position an oven-rack 4 inches below the broiler and preheat the broiler
Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat, add the onions and cook until translucent (3-5 minutes)



Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (45-60 seconds). Remove from heat to cool.

With clean hands, combine the ground beef, pork and parsley, cooled onion mixture in a bowl; season with salt and pepper.
Meat, parsley and mushy onion mix. It kind of browned a bit, but it still worked great

Meat all mixed with onions and parsley
(Saute a spoonful of the mixture an a bit of oil to taste for seasoning)


Spray the broiler pan with Pam. Shape the mixture into oval patties, about 1/2" thick and place patties on a broiler pan. Broil until the meat is no longer pink in the center and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the meat registers 160F (about 6 minutes per side)



Remove to a warmed serving platter and tent with foil to keep warm

Pour the pan drippings into a gravy separator and bring the volume up to 2 cups with beef stock
Not much came out of the pan, so I had to add quite a bit of stock

Neat trick, if the stock is cold, the fats coagulate and so you don't have to worry about pouring them into the gravy!

Heat 1 Tbs of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper



Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

Remove mushrooms from skillet and keep warm.

Heat remaining 2 Tbs of butter over medium heat in the same skillet until bubbling. Add the flour and cook until foamy.




Whisking constantly, pour the pan drippings and stock into the flour butter mix

EWWWWW! Leftover fat! This is why you need a gravy separator!

Bring sauce to a boil and and cook until thickened (about 5 minutes)

Decrease the heat to simmer, add back the mushrooms and any liquid that has accumulated

Serve immediately with the steaks
 Hope you enjoy this recipe it was lots of fun to make and is a great comfort food meal! The mushrooms were tender, the sauce was flavorful and the patties just right! So tasty! Matt liked it too because I finally made another beef dish! Speaking of which I'll be doing a few more in the near future because Costco had a deal on Chuck roast!
Let me know if you try this and enjoy it too!
Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment