Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes

Hi all!
Here is a much requested recipe. I've made it a few times but since it's kind of labor intensive I forgot to take pictures as I went along. This time Matt was around to help take pictures. This is one of my favorite desserts because it combines dark beer, whiskey, baileys, whipped cream and chocolate, oh my! So many of my favorites and such a treat!

 Like I said its pretty involved so I took LOTS of pictures. I found a way to cheat the recipe a bit to make it a little less intensive (box mix rather than from scratch), and I prefer a whipped cream icing instead of a buttercream but if you'd like, here is the original link:
http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2011/03/14/irish-car-bomb-cupcakes/

Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes
 
Cupcakes:
1 1/4 c. stout beer
1 Box dark chocolate cake, devils food, whatever is chocolate and you have on hand
 3 eggs (or whatever the box calls for
1/3 c. oil (or unsweetened Apple Sauce! Whatever your box calls for)

For the Whiskey Ganache Filling:
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1 Tbs Whiskey

Baileys whipped cream icing:
1/4 c. Bailey's Irish Cream
3/4 c. skim milk
1 c. heavy whipping cream -whipped
1 box Jello pudding (vanilla or white chocolate flavor)


1. To Make the Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pans with 22-24 liners.
 Make the cake per the manufacture's instructions except add Stout beer instead of water.


Divide the batter among the cupcake liners.
This is one of the big tablespoons that come with a 5 piece set. You know the kind you rarely use unless you really want some ice cream or cereal with big pieces.
By using this spoon I fill the cupcake liners 1/2 full. After you see what happens after baking you'll notice I may have filled them a bit too full.

This cupcake liner is half FULL not half empty!


Bake until a thin knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 19-23 minutes. Cool the cupcakes.
Opps, too full!

3. Time To Make the Whiskey Ganache Filling
Dump 8 oz of semi sweet chocolate chips in a bowl.

Heat the cream in the microwave for 1 minute and pour it over the chocolate. Let it sit for one minute and then, using a whisk, stir it from the center outward until smooth.





Poof like magic! You have ganache!
Add the butter and whiskey and stir until combined. If the butter doesn't melt, put the chocolate mix into the microwave for 45 seconds.



Let the ganache cool until thick but still soft enough to be piped.

4. How To Fill the Cupcakes :
Shave off the tops of the over filled or lopsided cupcakes. Then, using a sharp pointy knife, cut a hole (~ the size of your thumb and 3/4" deep)  out of the flattened cupcake. It is very important that the cupcakes and ganche are cooled. The first time I made these the ganache was not cool enough and soaked into the cupcakes. This made the pocket open to get more Bailey's frosting so they came out more like a hostess cupcake rather than a chocolate wonder.
I let the cupcakes cool over night so that's my big blue robe in the background and Clifford sharing some couch time with me and the cupcakes. Isn't he a good boy for not trying to swipe one? I know, that's a pretty sad Weimeraner look but he got yogurt on his food for breakfast so he's not as pitiful as he looks. He's well taken care and loved!
Examples of cupcakes kind of like goldie locks , this one's off center, this one's too tall, and this one is juuuusssstttt right (even if it is a little over filled).

This is my other observer. Gypsy was just making sure the cupcakes were cut properly
I had to add this one too because Gypsy was using her best levitation skills to bring a piece of cake to her. Sadly this isn't a Volkswagen commercial  or a french revolution and she didn't get to eat cake.

Shaving off the top of the cupcake, using a serrated knife
To keep the last part from ripping off, I put my finger on the top of the cupcake and sawed through the last 1/2. This technique worked pretty well and kept my fingers away from the blades which is always a problem for accident prone me.              

Awkward picture time!!! Me trying to show how to cut a circle. Works best if you look below and see I used a 45 degree angle most of the time to create a crater out of the cupcake
Better idea of how you should do this.
The removal! Look at the size compared to my thumb. Just a wee bit bigger.

Pipe the cooled ganache into the crater you've just created
Ahhhh, the poor man's piping bag! I can never keep piping bags clean and all the tips organized so 95% of the time I just do this and it works great!




All filled and ready to go!



5. Time To Make the Baileys Frosting!
Whip the whipping cream. It took about 2 minutes of high speed whipping to go from liquid to soft peaks.

Measure out the baileys (1/4 c., but can go up to 1/3 c.) and add skim milk until the final volume is 1 c. (i.e. 1/4 c. baileys + 3/4 c. milk)

Baileys + milk= YUM!
Add the pudding mix to the milk and baileys and whisk until combined

Do this quickly so it doesn't set too much
Fold the pudding mix into the whipped cream



Place the icing in the fridge for about 30 minutes so it becomes a bit less soupy.
Pipe the icing over the cupcakes! Keep them in a cool place or the refrigerator until they are ready to serve.
The poor man's piping bag returns!!!
What you can't see if my tongue sticking outside the corner of my mouth as I concentrating really hard to make the swirlies
This is why I couldn't be a cake decorator, it took me WAY too long to decorate each cupcake

Whew! One done!


Swirlies!
Here is what the cupcakes look like if you bisect them
That's fun, alcoholic, and delicious! TRIFECTA!
Ok, LOTS of pictures on this one because its more technically difficult, but if I can do it, you can do it! The original recipe had quite a few more steps, so I just threw out the ones I didn't like or thought I could do more efficiently, and here is what you get.
Enjoy this one, make it on an weekend, take them to a party, and have fun! Just don't cut your fingers off or burn yourself on chocolate and be sure to taste the icing by itself! Its addicting!
Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment