Saturday, August 25, 2012

Crock-pot BBQ Pulled Pork

Hi All!
Since we've moved to Maryland we've been on a quest for great BBQ and although we've found some pretty good places, still nothing is as good as KC style BBQ with pulled pork being a big one on the list. So to quench my insatiable thirst for good BBQ I thought I'd give this really easy recipe a try and it was a good bet! As always I changed a few things in the recipe to make it more my own but stuck to the general idea. One thing I changed was that instead of adding water to the BBQ sauce I added beer. My grandfather used to boil his ribs in beer before slow cooking them on the grill for 12 hours and it was AMAZING, so I figured the same might hold true for pulled pork. I wasn't exactly right, but it still tasted really good. Probably should have used a cheaper lager instead of an IPA, but I went with what was in the fridge and let Matt dictate which one we used (he chose his least favorite, lol!). One thing I want to try next time is to add 1/4 c. Whiskey or burbon and 1/4 c. water. That could be really good...
Until then you'll just have to try this the way it is which was still very good! And it also made LOTS of BBQ. I'll probably have to freeze some or else Matt and I will be eating pulled pork for days. So if you don't want lots of leftovers, you can halve the recipe.

Here is the original link just in case you want another perspective:
http://southwinstonlane.blogspot.com/2012/03/easy-bbq-pork.html

Crock-pot BBQ Pulled Pork

Ingredients:
8 boneless center cut chops
3/4 c. beer
Spices-I used Arthur Bryant's BBQ spice, Applewood Smoke, and Seasoned Pepper
Chopped onions
~Half bottle BBQ sauce of choice 
All the ingredients. The chops are still frozen which worked out OK, and the bag on top of the chops is full of the chopped onions from yesterday's German Potato Salad (told you you'd see them again!)

Close up of the spices I used. The two on the left are from Soulard Spice shop. You can find the link to them on the blog for German Potato Salad.

Pour Beer and BBQ sauce into a bowl, whisk, and pour 1/3 into the crock-pot. Sprinkle some onions into the sauce so the chops don't touch the bottom of the pot

Place one layer of chops inside slow cooker. Sprinkle with seasonings and onions

Add another layer of chops followed by more onions, spice and sauce. Cook on low for 7 hours.


At the end of the 7 hours  transfer the cooked chops into a bowl and shred with a fork. The end result will need more sauce.



This actually works great because while the shredded pork has some flavor without adding sauce, it gives everyone the option of adding the kind of sauce they prefer. Or if you're a kitchen dictator like me, you just mix some of the cooking juices with the other 1/2 a bottle of sauce that you used earlier and pour that over the shredded pork.

I like mine served on a flat-bread roll with Dill pickles, but you can dress your sandwhich however you like.

This was amazingly easy, and a nice reminder of home BBQ. I probably should have added a bit more BBQ sauce, but that's because I like really saucy BBQ but other than that it was great. One of the first things in the crock-pot that had the perfect mouth-feel/consistency for the meat I cooked. Also I'd say I probably only had 20 minutes of hands on time with this recipe. It was so easy!
Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment